Watch the Emmy Winning Episode.
It's a race against the clock, and a call for good weather, from artists as they begin their work on Artist's Point in Grand Marais. With a blank canvas and dueling brushes, adventurous artists have just 90 minutes to create a winning masterpiece. Raw materials include oil & watercolor paint; pastels and passion. It's a fast-paced imaginative competition that pushes artists to the brink of frustration; yet it also inspires quick, efficient creative brilliance.
Plein Air “The Brush Off”
Grand Marais Art Colony:
- Began in 1947 as a summer refuge for artists seeking to study the wilderness.
- Located in a renovated church acquired 1963 and newly constructed studio building 2005 overlooks Lake Superior quoted as having “the best view of Lake Superior”.
- Teachers and students may earn continuing credits and independent study credits.
- Winners of the Duluth Superior Area Community Foundations 2011 Touchstone Award for Generosity
2011 Plein Air Competition Winners:
Scott Lloyd Anderson:
- Painted the collapse site of the I-35W Bridge and the reconstruction process, as well as the renewal.
- Worked for an art Magazine as a layout designer, now pursuing painting career
- Paints suburban environments because it is the real world as opposed to a cliché’ landscape.
- Winner of The 9th Annual 2011 Plein Air Competition. Link to winning entry: http://www.grandmaraisartcolony.org/images/Scott_Lloyd_Anderson_15_Horse_Merc.1_%28Medium%29.jpg
- Wears a large hat while painting to keep line of sight during his paintings.
- St. Johns University Graduate
- Currently working on painting the Lake Superior Hiking Trail with a collection of pieces. Follow his progress at http://artistictrails.blogspot.com/
- Artist works as a professional framer at The Sivertson Gallery: “Art of the North” Grand Marais
- Works in association with Vern Carver and Beard Art Gallery: known for their framing and historical MN art.
- Winner of the 9th Annual 2011 Plein Air “Quick Paint” Competition
- Silver Bay Painter/ Photographer
- Photography features animals and outdoor environments
- Paints with oil, pastel
- Pieces are available as greeting cards and prints
- Father was a writing of outdoor hunting magazine and an author; David tagged along honing his skills and eventually illustrated 3 of his fathers books.
- Studied at MCAD; and courses at Grand Marais Art Colony.
- Was a painter for billboard company
- Created own business “Gilsvick Signs and Murals” based in Two Harbors; now pursuing a painting career
- Work featured in “Sivertson Gallery”
- Uses a watercolor under painting, and primarily uses pastel
- Masters in Design from the University of Minnesota; Studied at Parson School of Design in NYC
- Her art is seen in Lizzards Gallery; Art Dock, and Waters of Superior all located in Duluth, MN
- Has competed nation wide
- Currently a teacher at GM Art Colony
- Lake Country Pastel Society- MN’s Pastel Society from 2002-present
- Just finished teaching a week-long workshop in Tuscany, Italy. Oct 1-8, 2011.
- Teaches, exhibits and paints worldwide, including workshops in her hometown of Taylor’s Falls, MN and in Hawaii, Switzerland, Russia, China and Italy.
- Holds a BFA in Art and in Humanities from the College of St. Benedict. Mary studied with Hungarian artist Bela Petheo at nearby St. John's University
- Mary Pettis was commissioned to create a piece of artwork that was presented personally to the King and Queen of Sweden
- Mary Pettis has work in many permanent collections including the Minneapolis Institute of Art and Emigrant Institute in Vaxjo, Sweden check it out at http://www.marypettis.com/index.cfm
- Was the juror for the Grand Marais Art Colony’s 9th Annual Plein Air Competition
- Matt Kania has studied at the Duluth Art Institute, Minneapolis Academy of Art & Design and High Point Prints. He has taught classes at the Grand Marais Art Colony.
- Matt Kania is the founder of a map and illustration studio!! Check it out http://www.mattkania.com/html/profile.html
- Matt Kania is from Chicago and currently lives in Duluth, MN.
- Plein air painter/student from Grand Marais, MN
- Member of the Grand Marais Art Colony